How your gastroenterologist in Edinburg can help
Chronic acid reflux is an uncomfortable and all-too-common condition. Chronic acid reflux is also called gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD. According to the American College of Gastroenterology, over 60 million Americans suffer some symptoms of chronic acid reflux or GERD. Dr. S. Murthy Badiga at Renaissance Gastroenterology in Edinburg, TX wants to help you get relief from your symptoms.
Acid reflux is caused by excess stomach acid coming up through your esophagus. Your body has a muscle which functions to close off the esophagus from the stomach, preventing stomach acid from coming up your esophagus. When the esophagus sphincter muscle isn’t functioning properly, it will stay open partially, allowing stomach acid to enter your esophagus. The uncomfortable burning feeling in your throat is a classic symptom of chronic acid reflux.
Some common signs and symptoms of chronic acid reflux include:
- Chronic bad breath
- Throat problems and pain
- Tooth erosion
- Nausea and vomiting
- Chest or abdominal pain
- Wheezing or dry coughing
Dr. Badiga wants you to know about a few simple tips that can minimize the symptoms caused by acid reflux. Remember to:
- Avoid lying down after eating, stay upright for at least two to three hours after meals
- Avoid eating right before bed and avoid spicy foods
- Eat smaller meals several times daily, rather than three large meals
- Eat healthy to maintain a normal weight
- Avoid putting pressure on your abdomen from certain exercises or wearing belts
- Stop smoking and using tobacco products
- Try taking over-the-counter antacids to eliminate excess stomach acid
If you continue to suffer from chronic acid reflux, it’s time to visit your gastroenterologist in Edinburg for an evaluation. Dr. Badiga can recommend several effective treatments including medications, lifestyle changes and diet.
Don’t wait to get treatment because early treatment can lead to a better outcome for you! Call Dr. Badiga at Renaissance Gastroenterology in Edinburg, TX. Get some relief from chronic acid reflux by calling today!